Sunday, December 12, 2010

oh the joy.. of Registering

{Source}

I am not sure when you are "suppose" to register, but people keep asking us where we are registered. Through a process of faulty logic I have decided that meant I should register ASAP!

If only it was that simple.

Unfortunately, we are planning on moving 4+ times in the next year so the prospect of starting a large collection of "things" isn't that appealing even though I LOVE household items. I could spend hours at Crate & Barrel or Ikea. Additionally, Mr. Pancakes and I have lived together for over 3 years so we don't need that many things. So, despite my love for gourmet goodies, I decided to start looking for non-traditional registry ideas.

The first thing I found was traveler's joy and I thought it was a great place to start. If only I knew I had opened pandora's box. Shortly after that I found:
The list goes on an on... according to CNN the main between difference one of these registry compared to a hotel chain registry is that the couple can register for more items and usually have more control over the way the money is spent. Sounds good to me!

After looking over each website I decided to register at Traveler's Joy and Deposit a Gift. Then just to appease the traditionalist in the crowd I started a small registry at My Registry but that's another story for another day!

{Traveler's Joy}
Traveler's Joy allows me to just set up a website with a counter and a destination. Guest are then invited to contribute to the trip. Simple, straight forward. On the other hand, Deposit a Gift allows me to create a sort of fake itemized registry. For example, we registered for things such as couples massages, private dinners on the beach, and surf lessons but we don't actually have to put the money towards those things. It's mostly a way of giving the guests more information about what the money could go towards. At first I thought this was a little distasteful because it felt dishonest, however, I decided I could live with myself as long as I clearly explained the situation to the guests. Also, I do have every intent of spending the money on my honeymoon and will try to do my best to spend the money in the way the guest intended, so it's not as if I'm being intentionally dishonest, right?

I know there is A LOT of debate on Bee about the etiquette of honeymoon registries. To be honest, this was really a personal decision and it's what worked best for us, not just because we LOVE to travel but also because we don't need that much and aren't in a position to accept that much.

If you've used one of these services how did it work out? Which one did you choose and why??

No comments:

Post a Comment