Friday, December 17, 2010

DIY cake Part II: Edible Flowers

{Source}

My dream cake looks something like this... I love the lace appliques and the green stripe along the edges. Basically I love this cake because its simple and elegant cake.

On my quest to DIY my wedding cake, I thought that this cake would be pretty simple. (I've obiovusly watched WAAAAY to many wedding cake based reality TV shows.) I love that these cake uses real flowers but two things that you have to consider when using real flowers is (1) flowers are grown with pesticides which can be dangerous so you have to make sure the flowers are grown organically. I have no idea if that's even possible in Costa Rica, and (2) flowers don't hold up that well in the heat. These two facts got me thinking about fake flowers.

Then, I found these great etsy stores that makefloral accessories for an affordable price. According to these lovely ladies, these flowers can be stored in a air tight container for up to a year. Not poisonous? Check. Won't wilt? Check!

{Sweet Deja Vu}

{Sweet Petal Bakery}

{Sweet Bouquet}

The problem with this discover is that, now I am pretty sure that I could make these... hehehe. I am so excited for a spring filled with fondant, and gum paste!

Does anyone else find that etsy feeds their delusions of grandeur? Has anyone ever worked with fondant and gum paste? Please tell me if I'm being totally ridiculous? How much money would I have to spend on fondant and gum paste before I got the hang of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment