Sunday, December 12, 2010

DIY Project No. 1: Fabric Flowers {Results}

So here are the results from my very first DIY project:

Supplies:
  • 1 yard pink fabric
  • 1 yard white tulle
  • a pair of scissors
  • a candle
  • a lighter



First I cut the fabric into small circles. I made a variety of sizes from 3.5 inches to 1 inch in diameter in 5 inch increments (ie. 3.5, 3, 2.5,2, etc). I figured they didn't have to be perfect around the edges because I was gonna burn them anyway.

I just held the edges over the flame until they started to melt a little. If you get to close the fabric will actually burn so be careful. Also if you hold the center over the flame it gives it that pinched look which also makes the flowers less flat.

Taa-Daaa... this is the base for my first flower! Easy-pea-sy

Then I just had to make about 50 more...le sigh!

Once I had a few dozen I started to build little flowers and then I just added a little stitch through the center with pink thread to hold them together. Once they were all done I attached them to these cute little shirts I made for my bridesmaids.


I can't show you the final product because it's a surprise for my bridesmaids, BUT I will be sure to post after the ladies have seen them.

Have you made fabric flowers? If so, what did you use them for?

No comments:

Post a Comment