Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bridesmaids Dresses: To match or not to match...

I am so torn about bridesmaids dresses. I am having a fairly large bridal party because no one told me about the 50:1 (guests: bridesmaid) rule. Under this rule I should only have 1, possibly 2 bridesmaids. I have SIX! That being said I have no idea how to dress them for the big day. I kind of miss the days of mandatory matching bridesmaids dresses! There as SOOO many options.

1. The traditional matching dresses (I LOVE THESE!)

{source}

2. The same style in different colors

{Source}

3. The same color but with a choice of 2 or 3 styles

{source}

3. The same color family, no prints, but generally bridesmaid's choice.

{Source}

5. Color scheme but complete bridesmaids choice

{Source}

6. Matching Prints

{Source}
7. Mismatched Prints

{Source}

I am not sure what dresses to pick but I do have a few criteria:
  • Cost less than $100
  • Short and lightweight since it is a daytime beach wedding
  • Light colored (in the pink, champagne, or blush family)
  • Preferably not strapless
I really love the look of matching dresses but I love the idea of letting my bridesmaids pick their own dresses. I feel like if they pick their own dresses they are more likely to wear the dress again. Also my bridesmaids are all such different shapes and sizes that I wouldn't know how I could pick a dress that would look good on all of them. (I definitely want everyone to look A-MAZING on my big day, I am not one of those brides!hehe) On the other hand, because my bridesmaids look so different I kind of like the idea of having dresses that make them look more unified. I feel like that makes them more special.

Additionally, three of my bridesmaids have already said they hate pink and will need a lot of help finding a dress. They made it clear that they are more than happy to wear a pink dress for me, they just don't know how to pick a good pink dress. My sister basically laughed at me when I asked her if she would prefer to pick her own dress because she hasn't worn a dress in years and claims to have never worn pink!

It seems like my best bet would be to pick a 2 or 3 styles in the same color (family?) and let the bridesmaids choose the one they like best. I feel like this really addresses the majority of my concerns and my bridesmaids' concerns. The only problem is, where can I find 2 or 3 dresses in the same color that cost less than $100? I am under the impression, based on a very preliminary search, that I won't be able to find dresses under $100 at a bridal/bridesmaid dress store...ie David's Bridal, Dessy or J. Crew? Am I wrong?

1 comment:

  1. at first i told my ladies to pick their own navy dresses and I was excited to have the non-matching group photos that frequent the web. BUT they were all overwhelmed lol I loved the look of coordinating blues lights and darks.. but they weren't in the blogosphere like me. They asked me to pick a few styles and they would decide among those. We went with styles from Davids that were about 130 plus alternations if needed. I am 99.9% sure they will never wear them again but it was easy for them, they loved the dresses Day Of, and the decision was painless....mostly ;-)

    ReplyDelete