Tuesday, December 14, 2010

DIY cake: It CAN be done!

{Source}

As I was playing around on the epicurious wedding website I ran across this wonderfully helpful make your own cake guide. I've been toying with the idea of making my own cake for awhile now. I love to back and I find it super relaxing... I know, I know. There are lots of reasons that i shouldn't make my own cake but how fun would it be!?!?

So these are the directions I found... They are super straight forward and make it sound pretty simple.

Directions for a 3-tier Wedding Cake:



1. Setup

2. Measure the tiers for even positioning



3. Mark the tiers for even positioning

4. Insert dowels for support



5. Assemble the tiers

6. Finish the seams

{For complete directions click here and for video instructions click here}

Once you've made the cake here's how you store the cake. The icing that covers your cake determines how it should be stored – in the refrigerator, at cool room temperature, or frozen, if storing for longer than 3 days.
  • Basic Frosting - Iced cake can be stored at room temperature for 2-3 days.
  • Dairy-based Frosting- If the cake (ie. pudding in between layers) or the frosting has dairy in it you have to refrigerate the cake, but you can still make it a few days in advance.
  • Fondant - Don't refrigerate! If you freeze or refrigerate fondant it will get shiny spots from condensation.
Things to keep in mind:
  • Sunlight and florescent lighting – will alter icing colors. Keep your cake stored in a covered box and out of direct sunlight and florescent lighting.
  • Humidity – can soften royal icing and gum paste decorations. If you live in a climate with high humidity, prepare your royal icing using only pure cane confectioners' sugar (not beet sugar or dextrose), add less liquid and add 1 more teaspoon Meringue Powder to the recipe.
  • Heat – can melt icing and cause decorations to droop. . Protect your cake by placing it in a clean, covered cake box. Avoid using foil or plastic wrap to cover a decorated cake – these materials can stick to icing and crush delicate decorations.
If you are brave enough to give it a try, let me know. I may do a test run this spring and see how it goes. Anyone interested in eating three layers of cake???

What do you think, would you dare DIY your cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment