Monday, January 24, 2011

Let's talk cinematographers

When I got engaged back in March, I knew right away that I had to have the best photographer (my very limited) money could buy. On the other hand, I had never thought about getting a cinematographer. The reality is that I hadn't seen that many wedding videos. When I thought about it, I just figured that my wedding video was just going to be that video that my husband would accidentally tape over in 10 years, leading to a huge fight that would quite conveniently be resolved in 22 minutes... Yes, I watch a LOT of sitcoms and yes, I recognize that we do not have (and will never again have) a VCR.

Moving on... I don't really have a TV so I miss out on a lot, but eventually I did stumble across this Subaru Outback honeymoon commercial:


It was really game over. I've been stalking wedding videos ever since...

Here are two videos that really touched my heart, gave me chills, an just flat out brought tears to my eyes.

April + Adam's Xcaret Wedding Highlights Film from Joe Simon Films on Vimeo.

Literally everyone one of the videos on this website really takes my breath away. I love the combination of music and actual words from the ceremony.

When I spoke to my photographer to see if she had worked with any fabulous cinematographers she told me that she hadn't made any real connections in Costa Rica but that she loved SharkPig. I mean who wouldn't love a company called SharkPig!!

Then I saw this video on Once Wed and knew I had to post it! Doesn't this video remind you of the Wonder Years or that video of Vada's mom in My Girl.

James & Tiffany Super 8 from Shark Pig on Vimeo.

Turns out, I love the feel of Super 8 Film. It also turns out that it's super expensive... sigh. Champagne taste on a tap water budget :(

I couldn't figure out how to post the rest of the videos so here are a list of other cinematographers that I love:

* Paper Tape Films
* Hello Super 8
* Lola Video

So here's the question: Obviously a GREAT cinematographer is SOOO worth it, but if you can't afford a really great (Super 8 Film, in my case) cinematographer should you just put the money towards something else? Maybe more hours with your photographer? Or is any video better than no video???

No comments:

Post a Comment